ABIL® EM 90 is a non-ionic W/O emulsifier which is based on silicone.
The high emulsion stabilizing potential ofABIL® EM 90 is caused by the polymeric and polyfunctional structure.
- ABIL EM 90 is suitable for the formulation of W/O creams and lotions.
- Substances which can be processed include not only paraffin oils, which from the emulsion- technological point of view provide relatively few problems, but also fatty acid esters of short- and long-chain alcohols, silicone derivates and vegetable triglycerides which are known to be difficult to emulsify.
- The amount used, referred to the emulsion, is only 1.5 – 2.5%. In formulations with high water content the additional use of about 1%
ISOLAN® GI 34 is recommended to improve the application properties.
- Consistency-providing or emulsion-stabilizing waxes are required only in amounts up to 2%. Amongst others, hydrogenated castor oil in combination with high-melting hydrocarbon waxes or beeswax are suitable.
- The optimum range for the content of oil phase is between 22 and 35%.
- Substances with specific properties, such as UV filters, plant extracts, moisturizers and antiperspirants, are well tolerated by the emulsion.
- The creams and lotions are distinguished by high stability towards heat and freezing stress; stability between -25 °C and +60 °C is attainable.
- ABIL® EM 90 can be used for the preparation of multiple emulsions of the type W/O/W and O/W/O. [P. Hameyer, K.R. Jenni, Emulsifiers for Multiple Emulsions – Optimization of stability by constitution and Molecular Weight, Parfümerie und Kosmetik 12 (1994 ), 842 – 850].