Consistent with their high engagement in the haircare category, Black hair care users report above-average interest in many new products such as scalp treatments (69%), lightweight hair oils (63%) and hair fragrance (56%).
Ethnic Hair Care Market : Solutions for Hair Treatments – Restructuring, Shine, Scalp Care, Hair Loss
INCI: Sclerocarya birrea Seed Oil
- Ideal for ethnic leave-in hair treatments, scalp conditioners, hair lotions
- NPA and ECOCERT approved
- Improves volume and feel of damaged hair
- Smoothes the hair cuticle
- Vitalizes and strengthens the hair
The Natural Hair Movement: Ethnic Hair Care Market
The power of individualism in the growing space of multicultural beauty has led to a shift in beauty ideals where men and women are embracing their cultural identities and expressing themselves through fashion statements where curls and afros become the center of attention.
Black spending power: projected to increase to $1.4 trillion by 2020
This Ethnic Hair Care Market movement drives the need for products that address curl control – a predominant concern for the ethnic consumer -, prevent hair breakage and frizz. Product development in growing applications areas such as innovative hair styling and intensive conditioner products must meet today’s consumer’s hair care regimens to maintain and beautify their natural tresses. Some popular product concepts include Sulfate-free shampoos, co-wash products also known as cleansing conditioners, replenishing masks, oils and creams, scalp care balms, sprays for curl definition and shine, moisturizing gels, hair polish and freeze control serums, heat protectants and curl friendly foams.
33% of consumers think that cleansing conditioners are less damaging than traditional shampoo, and 32% that they make hairstyles last longer
Even though the ethnic hair care market is no longer dominated by hair relaxers, straight hairstyles are still on the agenda. The opportunity is to formulate products that help to restore, nourish and style treated hair. Growing needs for dry scalp prevention and increased moisturization and elasticity drive the demand for rinse-off and leave-on treatments as well as conditioning shampoos, cleansing conditioners, and friendlier relaxing systems.
Women with relaxed hair incorporate lightweight repair tonics, moisturizers and oils in their daily hair care routine, which is further enhanced by weekly pre-shampoo and conditioning treatments. Additionally, serums to protect the hair from heat, sheen-moisture styling sprays, and scalp massage treatments are used for styling and nutritional support. Nourishing needs are top priority!.
Solutions for Cleansing Conditioners – Natural Profile, Volume Control, Conditioning Effects
INCI: Quaternium-98 (proposed)
- Cleansing Conditioner performance study available
- Efficient on curly hair types
- Excellent conditioning properties. Delivers superior hair manageability, lubricity, and softness
- 100% active ester quat (solvent-free), readily biodegradable, sustainable
INCI: Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine
- Improves wet and dry comb
- Reduces fly away
- Adds volume/body to hair
- Emulsifying properties in creams
- Provides a pleasant skin feel
- Quat-free to avoid build-up on hair
Curl pattern, hair porosity, and density are important factors in determining hair care needs. The curlier the hair, the more areas of discontinuity in the cuticle layer, creating higher levels of porosity which are present in curly and coily hair. Density determines hair volume by assessing how closely individual strands of hair are packed together on the scalp. Curly hair with medium density is in need of enhancing the hair’s texture and playing up the volume, while coily hair with high density calls for curl holding and volume reduction.
Additionally, consumers that are transitioning from relaxed to natural hair, face the challenge of managing and styling these two different textures. Glenn will assist you in formulating products that effectively address these ethnic hair care concerns. The performance ingredients showcased in this section will provide an effective starting point. Contact your account manager to discuss your particular formulation needs!
Solutions for Dry Shampoo
- For the formulation of colored root concealers and dry shampoos
- Blanova DS series for odor control act like a molecular sieve trapping odors
INCI: Distearyldimonium Chloride
- Curl droop, generally caused by hair rinses, can be reduced by using the more hydrophobic dialkylquat VARISOFT TA 100, which leads to an improved hold of the hairstyle. This has been proven by a curl retention test (70% relative humidity, within 5 hours).
Solutions for Natural Styling
- Curl definition and texture and a soft, flexible hold with excellent humidity resistance
INCI: Squalane (and) Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer (and) Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer (and) Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate
- Provides a soft after-feel to shampoos, conditioners and styling products
Solutions for Conditioning Shampoos – Frizz, Hair Breakage
INCI: Silicone Quaternium-22; Polyglyceryl-3 Caprate; Dipropylene Glycol; Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Proven performance in multiracial hair
- Stable, PEG-free and preservative-free microemulsion
- Imparts hair conditioning and gloss
- Reduces hair breakage
- Heat protection
- Color protection/wash fastness
INCI: Disodium Ethylhexyl Sulfosuccinate
- High Oil (up to 50%), high foaming system with impressive sensorial effect
- Hot and cold processable
- PEG- and Sulfate-free systems possible